72 reasons for coffee. Go.
I’m at the dentist, but I can send you stuff once I’m home!
Hope teeth okay.
I could only make it to 55.
- To sip dramatically while someone tells you a story
- For getting through meetings that should have been emails
- For an exfoliating scrub because allegedly the caffeine makes your lumps go away but even if it doesn’t, your shower will smell good
- To drink when you’re out of whiskey
- To drink when you’re out of wine
- To kill time in the airport
- For taking a principled stance about trade and the ecosystem so you can show people how much you read
- For filling the novelty mugs you get from people who know you best or don’t know you at all
- For perfuming the air when your officemate heats up brussels sprouts and cabbage
- For the love of beans
- To grind loudly and cover the sound of your neighbors fucking
- To fill your cupholders
- To make your garbage look more like garbage
- To rub into a slab of beef before it meets the grill
- To buy time in uncomfortable conversations
- To sniff in between testing perfumes (although smelling your own sleeve clears the olfactory senses much better)
- For rotting the teeth
- To drink with whiskey
- To drink with horchata
- To drink with Bailey’s
- Because who likes drinking water?
- To provide barista jobs for young people in the arts
- To leave brown rings on ungraded papers
- To spill on the train
- To surprise your tattoo artist
- For stating elitist opinions about roast and region
- One of the only drugs you can do at work without getting funny looks/fired
- For suggesting an activity to do with someone you want to date because drinks will lead to a one-night stand and you’d like to see them many more times
- For warming your fingers during the polar vortex
- To mix with lemonade (trust me)
- For something to do with your hands while NPR is on
- For an excuse to sit in the café from open until close while you work on your second manuscript and fend off creepy smiles from singles
- To gauge the cost of living in your area
- To draw foam and cream designs into for your social media pages
- To increase your heart rate
- To excite the bowels
- To pair with cigarettes
- To fill the thermos you will reheat no less than 3 times on any given weekday
- To sip with good company after a fine meal (see aforementioned beef)
- To percolate. What else can percolate?
- To remind you of simpler times
- For slicing through your hangover with ruthless efficiency
- For carafes
- For pour-overs
- For filling K-cups, wretched little things that they are
- For fetching on your unpaid internship where you will allegedly gain invaluable work experience
- To boost your metabolism (probably)
- Because it’s delicious by itself
- Because otherwise you’ll chip a tooth on that biscotti
- For bathing ladyfingers as you prepare an enormous tiramisu
- For procrastinating
- For making excuses about lethargy
- To give you some mild twitches after cup #4
- To drink as a sign of adulthood
- To burn your mouth and keep you humble
Rita Mookerjee's poetry is featured or forthcoming in Berfrois, Lavender Review, Cosmonauts Avenue, Occulum and others. Her critical work has been featured in the Routledge Companion of Literature and Food, the Bloomsbury Handbook to Literary and Cultural Theory, and the Bloomsbury Handbook of Twenty-First Century Feminist Theory. She is a PhD candidate at Florida State University specializing in contemporary Caribbean literature.
Russell Bennetts co-founded Queen Mob's Teahouse in 2014.